29 Jun 2014

Barramundi's field of vision
Bait patterns

I had work the whole time this week.
Unfortunately, I had no time to go fishing.

I took the opportunity to write about barramundi’s field of vision and hunting patterns.
My theories are based on my experiences of catching 890 sea barramundis by land based around our urban shores since 2010.
Of course, you don’t have to agree with my thinking.




Barramundi have a super wide-angle vision therefore they can attack baits by changing
direction of their bodies sideways.



A good sized barramundi is very cautious.
Barramundi will follow a lure and remain neither too close nor too distant from it while they decide if they want to eat it.  But he/she sometimes finally gives up following a lure.
I think that barramundi may be short sighted.

The lateral line is a system of sense organs found in aquatic vertebrates, mainly fish, used to detect movement and vibration in the surrounding water. (Wikipedia)

Barramundi’s vision by itself probably is not brilliant but lateral line is a very, very good sensor to produce a very good reaction.
I think that they can sense a danger to them and the movement of bait fish even in muddy water using their lateral lines.






Please click on the " Fishing of Ranking" link. 
にほんブログ村 釣りブログ アカメ釣りへ



Thank you very much.