2 May 2012

Wonderful land-base fishing
Mr. Shannon Holopainen

I told Shannon before.
I was about to delete his e-mail because he used "Thomas the Obscure" as his sender's name.
I didn't know the meaning of "Thomas the Obscure".
┐(~ー~;)┌


I received e-mail from Mr. Shannon Holopainen.
Shannon is a very nice person.
He's a very important friend of mine.

Wonderful land-base fishing there!

Shannon's e-mail as follows,


I just returned from a trip to Bali and am looking forward to getting stuck into some barra again today.

Unfortunately I had a large barramundi recently break my Loomis GLX SR-842, so I have tried using an even lighter rod now - a 6'6" Daiko Elzarle (2-4lb) small stream trout rod matched with a 1000s Stella and 3lb Sunline FC Sniper!

I have been catching a very broad variety of fish from the Darwin shoreline using a range of finesse methods.

The last time I fished, I tried a small Bassday hardbody in very shallow water and, happily, it quickly reaped an almost legal little barra before the tide receded too much.

I have many similarly sized little hardbodies from my southern bream angling, so I will concentrate on this method for a few weeks now as it has worked for me on the Dampier Peninsula and around Broome.

I spent a day fishing small creeks around the Adelaide River and caught 7 species of fish on 1.5 to 2 inch poppers, including some small, very silver barra - surprising for how far inland they were - and a few saratoga.
I was using 3lb fluoro straight through, as most of the fish were initially small orange spotted grunter and tarpon... until I hooked a very large saratoga which unfortunately frayed the line after a short lived battle!

The small creek fishing within an hour of Darwin is quite amazing, especially with a few decent sooty grunter, saratoga and barra to be found.

I've attached a few images of some of the fish caught recently.

Perhaps in future I can drive you to some of the small streams I have found.
It is very exciting fishing with small surface lures, and such a variety of fish too!

The creek behind Point A seems to be going well again.
There was a big fish there last time making some loud BOOOOFFFSS! as it ate some terrified mullet.
I have caught fish there on my last three trips.

I have been catching at least 5 to 10 cod each time I fish, mostly on small Megabass stickbaits.

The slatey bream in the photo I gave you was a very interesting catch.
It fought very well and I thought it was a big barra.

Also, I lost a good barra (I estimate 70cm - 80cm) in the shallow area behind the low-tide point near Point B.
I saw a small barra there and put on a 6inch shad as an experiment... the fisah struck as soon as the lure hit the water, but after tail walking and shaking its head for several seconds it unfortunately threw the lure.

Very exciting to watch lone at 1 am in my headlamp!
I was surprised such a big fish was in there as it was very, very shallow at the time and the tide had just turned to come in.

Also, a few BIG barra have been cruising near the excess sewerage outlet just outside (on the right of) Point C.
I've seen a few  between 60cm - 80cm on my last visit - I hooked one briefly on a gary glitter squidgy fish.  The next night a friend went there with a very strong headlamp and he swears he saw a few meter plus barra.

Perhaps with your barramundi fishing talent you could lure a large one.

Cheers,
Shannon.


☆⌒(*^-゚)v Thanks!! Shannon.






6'6" Daiko Elzarle (2-4lb) small stream trout rod matched with a 1000s Stella and 3lb Sunline FC Sniper!

What a beautiful rod Daiko Elzarle is!
I'd like to buy a nice Trout rod for SQUIDGY FISH.






Shannon spent a day fishing small creeks around the Adelaide River and caught 7 species of fish on 1.5 to 2 inch poppers, including some small, very silver barra - surprising for how far inland they were - and a few saratoga.






The small creek fishing within an hour of Darwin is quite amazing, especially with a few decent sooty grunter, saratoga and barra to be found.







The slatey bream in the photo he gave me was a very interesting catch.
It fought very well and he thought it was a big barra.






Nice Flathead!
He has been catching a very broad variety of fish from the Darwin shoreline using a range of finesse methods.






Nice Parrotfish!







Please click on the " Fishing of Ranking" link. 
にほんブログ村 釣りブログ アカメ釣りへ



Thank you very much.