27 Apr 2016

1st land based barra in the NT!
68cm Barramundi
Bomber Long 15A
Mr. Troy Keim

It was by chance and my good fortune that I had the pleasure of fishing with Hiro at Channel Island on Anzac Day.  A keen lure fisho from North Queensland, I had recently started working up in Darwin.  Staring down at the water rush under the Channel Island Bridge and wondering where to start, a man on his scooter arrived - I recognized him as local fishing legend Hiro.  After a short introduction and a few words, Hiro generously offered to take me on one of his land based fishing sessions to chase the famous NT Barra.

Hiro lead the way through the mangrove forests and over the oyster rocks to the first spot.  We cast hard bodied lures there for half an hour for no strikes.  The receding tide exposed more rocks and access to the next location as the wind was increasing from the south.  After casting for around an hour my hopes of tangling with a Barra were beginning to fade, although there was some feeding activity observed in the area and even a free jumping Barra of approx. 90cm. I continued to work my bomber long A in the shallow water when suddenly my line loaded up and the water exploded with the distinctive strike of a nice Barra.  After two or three good runs, I steered my first land based NT Barra ashore. It went 68cm . A great moment thanks to Hiro's kind gesture - it was a great few hours spent in the NT sun - Thank you Hiro and best of luck catching your next 1000!




Name; Troy Keim (Qld)
Rod; Daiwa 3 Piece - Bulldog 603HFS 6'0" - 5 to 9kg
Reel; Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 3000
Line; Power Pro Slick 8 - 30LB
Leader; Jinkai Plus - 40LB
Lure; Bomber Long A - Prism / Black / Yellow




Please click on the " Fishing of Ranking" link. 

にほんブログ村 釣りブログ アカメ釣りへ





Thank you very much.