2 Feb 2014

This coming run-off may be his last challenge before leaving Darwin to a great barramundi angler.
Three metery barramundis on fly
Mr. Andy Congram

I heard that a great barramundi angler decided to leave Darwin.
This coming run-off may be his last challenge for catching a metery barramundi before leaving Darwin to Andy.

I'm honored that I can become friends with you, Mr. Andy Congram.
I asked him to send me some pictures on his fishing and asked him some questions.

And then I received following pictures and his answers to those questions.


Andy's metery barramundi #1 on fly in Shoal Bay




Andy's metery barramundi #2 on fly at Marsh Creek




Andy's metery barramundi #3 on fly at Marsh Creek

  • My biggest Barra land based was 82cm in the Vic River.
  • I don't do much land based, generally only searching for Permit along the beaches. 
  • For targeting metreys in the run off I use a 10 weight rod, intermediate or 350-400 grain fly line, 40-60lb leader, and generally a fly called FatBoy in chartreuse or white on a 8/0 Gamakatsu SL12s. Then it's a matter of join the masses at one of the coastal creeks, or Shoal Bay, and cast til your arm nearly falls off!
  •  I'll be here for another couple-few months mate.
  • Time to get another one or two big girls!
  • Ahh, no worries Hiro - always happy to share fishing stories and info.
  • The last of those metreys was about three years ago.
  • I mostly sight fish the flats of Bynoe or Darwin Harbour, as I prefer to get away from other anglers, and one fish sight cast is worth ten caught blind I believe.
  • Here's a pic of my best fish off the flats off Bynoe - 86 cm.


  • This was last year in the buildup.


  • Tarpon. Mexico about 6 or 7 years ago I think from memory.


  • Here's a dollie...


  • Sailfish on fly
  • Yeah, whilst I'm living here, but I might revisit in the future...plenty more species to target.  So far I have caught over 80 species on fly, I would like to account for more than 100 before 2014 is done - that is my angling goal for this year.
  • I have written and co-written a few articles for FlyLife
  • Cheers Hiro, until I started my business three years ago, I used to fish every weekend - fly only for the past 8 or 9 years.  I like to push myself into challenging fly fishing situations and set the bar pretty high if you know what I mean. 
 ☆⌒(*^-゚)v Thanks!! Andy.
I'll ask you some questions when I want to know about fishing.






Please click on the " Fishing of Ranking" link. 
にほんブログ村 釣りブログ アカメ釣りへ



Thank you very much.