16 Feb 2013

Shannon has come back to Darwin from Japan and South East Asia.

My very good fishing friend, Shannon, has come back to Darwin from Japan and South East Asia.

I received an e-mail from Shannon few days ago.

Howdy there Hiro,

I've been back in the NT for two weeks after a few months in Japan and  South East Asia, bringing back lots of new tackle and lures that I shall be paying off for a few months.  We got trapped on Rebun Island - off the Nth Coast of Hokkaido - for a few days.  A very lovely place, despite the violent seas that meant the ferry could not return until some calm was regained.  Huge chum salmon were spawning in every little drain and creek, but being krill eaters I only managed to hook one of a few kilos on a tiny soft plastic... then it straightened my hook as I tried to lift it out of the water.  But I managed to catch a few of these little mackerel while there - perhaps you know their name?
I hooked two big Mahseer in the north of Thailand, but one snapped my line - 8 lb leader - swimming upstream through rapids, and the other straightened a treble.  Very powerful fish indeed! Unfortunately it was a bad time for mahseer fishing, as all the rivers and creeks were quite muddy.  I think I did well to track down two without a fishing guide!
The next time I fished was in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo, where i had one session from the Kinabalu wharf where i landed a few trevally - three different species - and was snapped off on the oyster covered pylons by every other big fish I hooked.  Then I had a half hour fish off the Northern tip of Borneo - I've attached photos of these.
I finally caught a mangrove jack at that spot during last night's high tide, and a small mackerel I surprising hooked on a bream lure yesterday as well.

Your wonderful blog has inspired me to start my own so I can keep track of my NT fishing exploits: http://landbasedbarramundi.blogspot.com.au/
I hope you enjoy having a read.  I am sure we shall run into each other soon whilst fishing... it is good to have some solid rain today!

Best wishes,
Shannon

☆⌒(*^-゚)v Thanks!! Shannon.

These following fishes were caught by land based by Mr. Shannon Holopainen on traveling.



Shannon's catch on traveling.




Shannon's catch on traveling.




Shannon's catch on traveling.




Shannon's catch on traveling.





Shannon's catch on traveling.





Please click on the " Fishing of Ranking" link. 
にほんブログ村 釣りブログ アカメ釣りへ



Thank you very much.